Sunday 8 May 2022

Old places, new experiences

In the weeks since my last post I've changed both my job and all of my camera equipment. While both changes are very different, they've both been hugely positive and this last fortnight in particular I've felt a sense of calm in my life usually only experienced in brief moments. Some time off between the job move and a period with no camera at all resulted in some days out birdwatching with just the binoculars, or sometimes a sound recorder too. I've started to wonder why it's taken me so long to explore the true breadth of this hobby, perhaps it's to do with my age and where I am in my life in terms of how I think and perceive the world. Perhaps it's best not to overthink this, and simply embrace it!

I've picked out four photos below taken at different places, all of which I've been to before but not at this time of year and sometimes just for the walk. In particular, last night's evening walk from St. Clement's church to the Turf Hotel was incredibly exciting as we saw so many different waders. Overjoyed though I was to see a bar-tailed godwit in summer plumage, the group of dunlins and little plovers that we followed along the shoreline ultimately stole the show with their fascinating feeding habits, intricate interactions and distinct calls.

Green-winged orchids, Orcombe Point, 22/4


Curlews and Whimbrels, Exminster Marshes, 29/4


Roe deer, Matford Marshes, 30/4


Ringed plover, Estuary walk by Turf Hotel, 7/5


2 comments:

  1. A lovely new blog with gorgeous photos, and everyone deserves some calm in their lives. For me the Ringed Plover is a delight, and it's always breathtaking to see orchids in Devon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo's, there is so much to enjoy in nature, if people took the time to see it. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Old places, new experiences

In the weeks since my last post I've changed both my job and all of my camera equipment. While both changes are very different, they'...