Monday 28 March 2022

March on by

Joney's Cross car park at Aylesbeare Common has just recently undergone a complete revamp including changing its vehicle entrance to be far easier to use than the previous arrangement - anyone who had to use what was there before will know what I mean! Change is sometimes for the good, and so when it feels like everything is changing - which it does right now - I'll try to see the positive changes wherever I can.

The Common was rich with bird life today and my only wish to see the Dartford Warblers was granted as we briefly spotted one or two roughly where I thought they might be, though this was undoubtedly down to luck more than anything. I'm fairly sure of a Linnet sighting though I do struggle with finches I've rarely seen before, perhaps someone could confirm?

Lots of siskins near the car park were a joy to watch and listen to, unbelievably these are my first sightings of these birds after all these years. I think perhaps I never used to visit Aylesbeare at the right time of year and strangely never saw them elsewhere. Chiffchaffs, on the other hand, seem to be in abundance this Spring and I never seem to be far from their song whether I'm at home or out and about. It's lovely to hear them all the time and have had more then a few close encounters this month.

A cobweb-covered gorse bush proved an irresistible photo but only recently did I learn what this actually is - the work of the gorse spider mite - Tetranychus lintearius no less.

Possible Linnet?

 
Dartford Warbler


Gorse covered in spider mite silk enclosure

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old places, new experiences

In the weeks since my last post I've changed both my job and all of my camera equipment. While both changes are very different, they'...