Saturday 5 February 2022

(Not) capturing birds in flight

Encouraged by recent posts on the excellent birdingexmouth blog I decided to take a short trip down to Exmouth and explore the area around mudbank, starting at the Duckpond, which - this morning - was full of (~130) Brent geese.

I tailed a group of (~14) Turnstones around the edge of Imperial Park. A lone Dunlin briefly appeared amongst them but was quickly ousted. When the whole group finally decided to depart and took flight I took a few shots but knew at once that I'd not properly anticipated this move, with my camera's shutter speed almost certainly not set high enough. One of these grabbed shots turned out rather nicely compositionally but isn't at all sharp! I'm posting it anyway as a reminder to myself to better expect birds to do what they naturally do and at some point take rapid flight!

On the walk up towards mudbank lane I saw 7 Shelducks which had joined the geese by the time I'd walked back. I really enjoyed walking around this area and will be back again soon enough I'm sure.

Brent geese, part of a much larger group

Turnstones

Dunlin

Turnstones 'in flight'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Old places, new experiences

In the weeks since my last post I've changed both my job and all of my camera equipment. While both changes are very different, they'...